Home » VR-REU 2024 » Immersive Content for Interdisciplinary STEM Education

Immersive Content for Interdisciplinary STEM Education

Cason Allen, Florida A & M University

Week 1: Introduction & Project Proposal

This REU opened up with a social event where Dr. Wole took our cohort to bowl. It was fun, as I had the opportunity to meet the other students in the program. The following day commenced the first official day of the REU, where we toured Hunter College and were given an introduction to some of the mentors. The week progressed with meeting my mentor Kendra Krueger, where we started formulating ideas for the project I would be engaging in this summer. With my project relating to how the Advanced Science Research Center (ASRC) is involved in STEM education and outreach, it was nice to see how field trips at the CUNY Graduate Center are conducted and how they aim to teach students in the short time they have. This set the stage for what my project proposal would look like, as I spent much of the rest of the week doing research on the different ways to go about the project and brainstorming methods to conduct it. In addition, we ran through the first couple of lectures in Dr. Wole’s Introduction to Virtual Reality class and gained an introduction to the software Paraview. Seeing how much we have done in such a short amount of time, I am excited about what the next 7 weeks have in store in this REU.


Week 2: Project Progression and Literature Review

This week, I met with Kendra to further discuss my project’s expectations. With this project primarily being a visualization tool for various instruments within the ASRC, its accessibility must be more open to the public. Therefore, I aim to create a desktop visualization program and, if there is any time, create a VR version. For this tool, I have started finding objects to create the virtual object library needed and have scratched the surface of what can be done in Unity. Unfortunately, I could not explore as much as I needed to due to getting sick mid-week, so moving forward, I will have to catch up and stay on track. In addition, I have been working on my literature review, gaining a couple more sources revolving around augmented reality in STEM education and assessing student learning outcomes. I was able to continue my paper by implementing this into Overleaf, and moving forward, I will be starting my methodology and meeting with a researcher at the ASRC to see how some of the instruments operate. If I can not find digital models for such instruments, I may have to recreate them in SolidWorks.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Hunter College
City University of New York
695 Park Ave
New York, NY 10065

Telephone: +1 (212) 396-6837
Email: oo700 at hunter dot cuny dot edu

Follow me:
wolexvr on Twitter  wole-oyekoya-5b753610 on Linkedin  woleucl's YouTube channel  oyekoya's Github profile  Googlescholar